Congratulations on opening a new store! Use this checklist to set up the new store.
Step 1: Chart of Accounts
Administration > Accounting > General Setup > Chart of Accounts
- Preferred Bank Account GL
- Over Under Account
- Merchant Clearing Account
- Stock Sites
- Tax Authorities
- Cash on Hand
- Any other general ledger accounts your CPA or Accountant advises.
Step 2: Tax Authorities/Codes
Administration>Accounting>General Setup>Tax Authorities
Administration>Accounting>General Setup>Tax Codes
If this store is in a different tax jurisdiction then your previous stores, be sure to do your research and add the correct Tax Authorities and Tax Codes to Evosus.
Step 3: Add Store
When you create a new store, only a portion of the fields display. Once the store is created, you can add additional information.
- Set up the following before creating a new store:
- Stock Sites - A stock site is any location that carries inventory - for example, retail stores, warehouses, and service vehicles.
- Chart of Accounts - The Chart of Accounts is a listing of all the accounts of the company.
- Account: Formal record that represents money or other unit of measurement, certain resources, claims to such resources, transactions or other events that result in changes to those resources and claims.
- Sales Tax
- Product Lines - Use product lines to group your inventory items into high level categories - for example, Accessories, BBQs & Grills, Chemicals, or Covers.
- Open the Stores tab of the Administration - System screen (Administration > System > Stores > Stores).
- Click Add. The New Store screen appears.
- Create a three letter abbreviation for your store. This abbreviation will be used throughout the system to identify the store - for example on financial statements and when logging in.
- Name - The name should clearly identify the store - for example, Portland - Retail Store.
- The store name prints on quotes, orders, point-of-sales-receipts, mailing labels, and reports.
- Use the Store Name to Print field on the System Parameters screen (Administration > System > Evosus Defaults > System Parameters > System tab) to override the store name. This means you can have internal store names, and an external store name.
- Address, City, State, Postal Code, and Country - This will print on all customer transactions - for example, sales orders and service orders.
- Store Class - Select a store class.
- Store classes are created and maintained in Administration > Accounting > General Setup > Store Classes.
- You can use store classes to group stores based on type for reporting purposes. Financial reports, such as the Balance Sheet and Income Statement, can be grouped by store class for a comprehensive comparison by store type.
- Accounting Defaults
- Preferred Bank Account - This is the GL account that is automatically selected on the Pay Bills screen (Administration > Accounting > Accounts Payable > Pay Bills) and Write Checks screen (Administration > Accounting > Banking > Write Checks) when logged into this store. This is only a default account. Click Add Acct to create a new GL account.
- Over/Under Account - Account used when a cash drawer session does not match the expected closing amount. The over/under account is also used when a bank deposit does not match the deposits at the end of the day. Generally this is an expense account.
- When a cash drawer is short, the over/under account is debited and the cash on hand account is credited. When a cash drawer is over, the cash on hand is debited, and the over/under account is credited.
- When a bank deposit is short, the over/under account is debited and the cash on hand is credited. When a bank deposit is over, the bank account is debited and the over/under account is credited.
- Merchant Clearing Account - Asset account used to hold customer credit card payments until deposited in the bank.
- A credit card payment will debit the merchant clearing account, and credit the merchant card sweep account.
- Click Next to open the Contact tab.
- Enter the contact information for the store.
- You can add additional phones after the store has been added.
- This information will print on customer facing documents - for example, point of sales receipts, and sales and service orders.
- Click Next to open the Defaults tab.
- Sales Tax to use... - Select the default sales tax to use when doing Point-Of-Sale transactions and orders. Sales taxes should already be created before adding new stores.
- Cash Drawer 1 - Type in cash drawer name. The cash drawer name can be as simple as "Cash Drawer 1" or "Till One" as long as you can differentiate between them.
- Cash On Hand - Select a corresponding Cash on Hand account for the selected cash drawer. Cash on Hand accounts should already be created. You may add additional Cash Drawers once you have finished adding the Store.
- (optional) Pole Display Welcome... - Enter the message that should appear on the pole display used at the new store.
- This field only applies if you have a pole display on the cash register.
- Default Distribution Method - A distribution method is how an order is fulfilled or delivered - for example, customer pickup, POS, We Deliver, UPS, Fedex, and USPS. Select a default Distribution Method for Sales Orders, Service Orders, Return Orders and POS Transactions.
- Select Prompt to Choose if the system should prompt the user to select a distribution method on the transaction before adding items to the order. This is a great way to help facilitate a process where sales people verify with customers how they want to receive goods. This can also be helpful if an item is a special order, out of stock, or has multiple delivery options.
- Select Employees... - Select all of the employees that can log into the new store.
- Click Save New Store.
Step 4: Stock Sites & Store Stock Site Relationships
Administration > Inventory > General Setup
Be sure to consider what new Stock Sites, if any, you should add for your new store. Once you have added the Stock Site(s), you may want to consider setting up new Store Stock Site Relationships.
Step 5: Employees
Administration > System > Employees > Employees
If you are hiring new employees, they will need to be added as employees in Evosus, ensuring that they have access to the new store you have created. Remember to review the employee's permissions as well under Administration>System>Security.
Step 6: Timekeeper Setup
Administration > Timecards > Timekeeper Setup
If you use the timecard functionality in Evosus, you will want to add the new employees as Timekeepers.
Step 7: Default Bill To
Administration > Accounting > General Setup > Default Bill To
If your new store will have a separate billing account for Accounts Payable, be sure to set this up in the Accounting Defaults.
Step 8: Additional Steps
The followings items are not necessary for your new store to function but you may want to consider them in your setup.
- Sales Promotions
- Sales Goals
- Marketing Campaigns
- Customer Type Pricing
Unless explicitly stated, this topic documents the most recent version of Evosus Business Enterprise. If you're not using the latest version, go here to download it.
Did you find it helpful?Send feedback