When an item is returned on a return invoice or undelivered on a job, it is not immediately returned to inventory. Instead, it appears on the Pending Returns tab of the Inventory Transactions screen (Administration > Inventory > Utilities > Process Pending Returned Items) until you determine what to do with the item.
- The returned quantity appears in the Returns Pending column of the stock site quantity grid on the main Inventory tab.
- Once a decision is made, the appropriate quantity adjustments and accounting entries will be created automatically. This means that the Inventory asset and COGS accounts are not affected when the return order is invoiced. Instead, the posting occurs when a decision is made about the item(s) in the Pending Returned Items queue.
There is a system parameter available that allows you to bypass the Pending Returned Items queue. Setting the "Pending Returns - Auto Move to Inventory" parameter will allow the items to flow automatically through the Pending Returned Items queue so that an employee does not need to make a decision. The return invoice still won't post the Inventory asset or COGS entries. You will see those as a separate entry once the items have automatically moved through the queue.
What do you need to know?
- Voiding a Return Invoice will remove items from the Pending Returned Items queue; however, Return Invoices cannot be voided if the item was already processed in the Pending Returned Items queue.
- Accounting Period cannot be closed if items exist in the Pending Returned Items queue for that period.
- Serial Numbers will be available for resale for items in the Pending Returned Items queue. If item is moved to disposal, serial number status is changed to “Returned” and no longer available for sale. If item is moved to RGA, serial number status is changed to “Returned” and no longer available for sale.
- Items are added to the Pending Returned Items queue quantity one at a time. For instance, the customer returns quantity five of an item. You will see five individual line items with quantity one in the Pending Returned Items queue. This allows you to make a different decision for each item. You might return four of the items to inventory while one item is thrown in the garbage.
- Multi-select is available on this screen to allow you to move multiple items at once. Simply press and hold <CTRL> on the keyboard and use your mouse to select the items you wish to move. Then click one of the buttons at the bottom to move the item to inventory, move it to the garbage or transfer to an RGA.
You can use the filters at the top of the screen to narrow the list down to a specific set of items.
Options for handling returned items
- Move to inventory - If this is a special order item, this option will convert the special order item to a non-stock item marked as clearance. This allows you to resale the item, or send it back to the vendor. This will increase your inventory asset account.
- Move to disposal
- Move to vendor/RGA - If this is a special order item, this option will convert the special order item to a non-stock item marked as clearance. This allows you to resale the item, or send it back to the vendor. This will increase your inventory asset account.
Security Permissions Required
|Admin – Inventory
||Can Access INVENTORY Tree Branch
|Process Return Pending Items|
Unless explicitly stated, this topic documents the most recent version of Evosus Business Enterprise. If you're not using the latest version, go here to download it.
Did you find it helpful?Send feedback